Starting on July 1, 2018, the Construction Documents Technology (CDT) program will transition from a certificate to a certification
Supporting professional success is CSI’s primary reason for being, and the CDT credential is an important professional accomplishment. CSI has embarked upon a strategy to transition the CDT to a certification. This transition has been in the works for at least three years, prompted by CSI volunteer leadership serving on the Certification committee and the CSI Board of Directors.
Careful thought and planning has gone into this initiative to ensure that the CDT certification will be held up as a “gold” standard of certification. It is worth noting that while some perceive the CDT as a certification, it is not. The main change to the program is adding modest prerequisites and a continuing education requirement. As we look toward promoting certifications, we must be able to represent them as certifications. This need has long been acknowledged and expressed by our membership.
While the change to the CDT will take effect on July 1, 2018:
• No action is required at this time.
• For current CDT certificate holders, the credential is still valid.
• Renewal of any CSI credential is fully voluntary.
• Renewal of the CDT certification is not required until June 30, 2021. Candidates for renewal have at minimum, 3 years to prepare for this change. Renewal of the CDT certification is only necessary if you wish to continue use of the CDT as a professional certification.
Professionals holding upper level certification (CCS, CCPR, and CCCA) are not required to maintain the CDT.
CDT Prerequisite Requirement:
• High School diploma or equivalent
CDT Renewal Requirements (3-year renewal cycle):
• Complete Renewal Application via CSI website
• Provide evidence of completion for 24 credit hours of continuing education
• Pay current renewal fee
CSI is actively engaged in creating a learning development plan which will include opportunities for future professional development directed to current and aspiring CDT certificants.
For additional information regarding CSI Certifications and Renewal view our Frequently Asked Questions, download the Continuing Education upload instructions (PDF), or contact CSI Member Services at 800-689-2900 (Monday - Friday, 8am - 8pm ET) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.