The Construction Documents Technology (CDT®) designation has transitioned from a certificate to a certification!
Supporting professional success for AEC professionals is CSI’s primary reason for being, and the CDT credential is an important professional accomplishment. CSI has embarked upon a strategy to transition the CDT to a certification. This transition has been in the works for several years, prompted by CSI volunteer leadership serving on the Certification Committee and the CSI Board of Directors.
Careful thought and planning has
gone into this initiative to ensure that the CDT certification will be held up as a “gold” standard of certification. It is worth noting that while some perceive the CDT as a certification, it has not been in the past. The main changes to the program are adding modest prerequisites and a continuing education requirement.
While the change to the CDT took effect on July 1, 2018:
CDT Prerequisite Requirements to Sit for Exam:
- No action is required until 2021 besides earning your Learning Units in preparation for maintenance of your certification.
- Log into your CSI account to view your Certification(s) and recertification date(s).
- Recertification of any CSI credential is fully voluntary.
- Maintenance of the CDT certification is only necessary if you wish to continue use of the CDT as a professional certification.
- If you are recertifying a CDT in addition to a CCS and/or CCCA, 50% of your LUs may overlap.
- Retesting is not required as long as you meet requirements to recertify and maintain your CDT.
CDT Recertification Requirements (3-year cycle):
- High School diploma or equivalent. College-level coursework and/or two (2) years’ experience in construction management is highly recommended. No reference letters required.
Complete Recertification via CSI website
- Submit 24 Learning Units (educational activities)
- Pay current recertification fee
- CSI will review your application in 5-7 business days
Have questions regarding CSI Certifications? Contact CSI Member Services at 800-689-2900 (Monday - Friday, 8 am - 8 pm ET) or at email@example.com