The Construction Documents Technology (CDT®) designation is transitioning from a certificate to a certification!
Supporting professional success for AEC professionals is CSI’s primary reason for being, and the CDT credential is an important professional accomplishment. CSI has embarked upon a strategy to transition the CDT to a certification. This transition has been in the works for at least three years, prompted by CSI volunteer leadership serving on the Certification Committee and the CSI Board of Directors.
Careful thought and planning has
gone into this initiative to ensure that the CDT certification will be held up as a “gold” standard of certification. It is worth noting that while some perceive the CDT as a certification, it has not been in the past. The main changes to the program are adding modest prerequisites and a continuing education requirement.
While the change to the CDT took effect on July 1, 2018:
CDT Prerequisite Requirement:
- No action is required at this time.
- For current CDT certificate holders, the credential is still valid.
- Renewal of any CSI credential is fully voluntary.
- Renewal of the CDT certification is not required until June 30, 2021. Candidates for renewal have at minimum, three years to prepare for this change. Renewal of the CDT certification is only necessary if you wish to continue use of the CDT as a professional certification.
- Professionals holding upper level certification (CCS, CCPR, and CCCA) are not required to maintain the CDT.
- Retesting is not required as long as you meet requirements to renew and maintain your CDT
CDT Renewal Requirements (3-year renewal cycle):
- High School diploma or equivalent. College-level coursework and/or two (2) years’ experience in construction management is highly recommended
Complete Renewal Application via CSI website
- Provide evidence of completion for 24 credit hours of professional development
- Pay current renewal fee
CSI is actively engaged in creating a learning development plan which will include opportunities for future professional development directed to current and aspiring CDT certificants
For additional information regarding CSI Certifications and Renewal, contact CSI Member Services at 800-689-2900 (Monday - Friday, 8 am - 8 pm ET) or at email@example.com