8:30-3:00 | Pre-Conference Workshops
+ Build It: Confident Leadership Workshop
Note: This pre-conference session is available to active Chapter, Region, Board of Director volunteers and aspiring member leaders.
Are you looking for ways to become a more effective chapter leader? Join this session, as we explore questions like “What is my role on the Board?”, “Why do people volunteer?”, and “How can our Board serve our members effectively?”. You’ll leave with improved confidence in leading. Work alongside new and seasoned volunteer colleagues to improve skills you can apply as a CSI leader and in your career. This is a hands-on session, with pre-work of about 1.5 hours, so you’ll really capture the lessons. (More information on this coursework will be available soon.) We hope you’ll join your colleagues from around the country for this popular, sold-out-in-2021 and 2022 session.
As a result of attending these sessions you will:
- Learn core board leadership competencies like goal setting, strategic thinking, and common (and often misunderstood) board responsibilities.
- Identify motivators for volunteers and how to apply this information to your chapter’s volunteer practices.
- Work through common board leadership scenarios.
+ Writing Specifications for Modern Project Teams
Speaker: Susan Bliss
Come learn from industry veterans as they walk you, step by step, through the process of writing specifications, especially when there are multiple stakeholders involved. In this education packed day, we will start with a clear definition of specs, then move on to how to write a spec section with, and without, a master section. We’ll discuss how to identify project needs, find and assess products, and learn to research on manufacturers' websites.
Be prepared for a complete immersion into the ever-changing world of specification writing. (You will need your laptop for this experience.) Also, make sure to bring your real-world challenges for some peer-to-peer insight and collaboration. We have a full day of hands-on education designed to enhance your ability to write better specs.
In this session, you will learn:
- How to write a spec utilizing a master section.
- What to do when no master section is available.
- How to decipher what product types are needed in a project, based on drawings that are provided by the architect.
- How to accurately compare different products to choose those that meet the standards of quality required for a project.