Nomination Form for West Region Award (Word)Nomination Form for West Region Award (PDF)
West Region Operating Guide
Approved May 2016 - Amended March 2019
SECTION 2 - AWARDS
1. To recognize the talents, achievements and notable contributions to the construction industry that supports the purpose of CSI.
2. To coordinate, evaluate, maintain and present the Region's Awards Program.
3. To communicate with and educate members and Chapters in the Region as to the purpose and the techniques of the Awards Program (Refer also to CSI Honors and Awards Guide).
1. The Awards Committee consists of the Chair, the President and President-Elect and four members from different chapters.
a. The Chair and a Vice-Chair will be appointed by and serve at the discretion of the President/President-Elect and may be reappointed to serve a maximum of two (2)consecutive years in any one position. It is suggested that the Chair and Vice Chair be the past two Advisors to the Region on a rotation basis.
b. The term will commence following the conclusion of each West Region Conference.
c. The chapter representatives will be appointed at the beginning of each fiscal year.Members may serve a maximum of three consecutive years. The terms will be staggered to provide a continuity of experience.
1. The committee will review and select award recipients from among nominees submitted for all Award categories, except those specifically selected by the President and President-Elect. Selection shall be by majority vote of committee members voting; in case of a tie vote, the Chair will break the tie.
2. No member of the committee may be a nominee or nominator of any awards category that may be considered by the committee.
3. All awards to be given under the name of the Region will be prepared, and presented by the committee except as described in Part E-2 below. All decisions will be kept privileged until presentation at the Region Conference.
4. After presentation of the year’s awards, the committee will provide a list of recipients and the award citations for publishing on the Region website.
D. CATEGORIES OF AWARDS:
1. There will be six (6) categories of awards.
a. The Frank Smith Memorial Award (SMITH): Awarded to a member of any West Region Chapter who has held membership for at least five* years in CSI, and during this period has rendered distinguished service to their Chapter and Region and, if applicable*, has rendered distinguished service to the Institute in the advancement of its objectives or in its administration. One may be awarded.
b. The Jim Butler Memorial Award (BUTLER): Awarded to a member of any West Region Chapter who has held membership for at least five* years in CSI, and during this period has consistently rendered distinguished service, inspired fellowship, and made other outstanding contributions to their Chapter and Region. One may be awarded.
c. The Wilbur Johnston Memorial Award (JOHNSTON): Awarded to a member of any West Region Chapter who has held membership for at least five* years in CSI, and during this period has made notable contributions in the advancement of the construction sciences, construction specifications, and to the education of those in the construction industry who are, or will be responsible for the preparation of, or conformance to construction specifications, and to their Chapter, Region, and, if applicable*, the Institute. One may be awarded.
d. West Region Citation (CITATION): Awarded to a member, committee, Chapter or organization, which has rendered distinguished service in the advancement of education in specification writing or technical documents for construction. A maximum of three (3) may be awarded.
e. President/President-Elect’s Certificate of Appreciation (PRESIDENT/PRESIDENT-ELECT’S): Awarded to individuals or organizations for exceptional work performed on behalf of the Region. A maximum of 10 awards may be awarded.
f. Committee Chairs Certificate of Appreciation (BEST OF THE WEST): Each Standing Region Committee, by determination of the Chair, selects the person, organization, or Chapter committee which has contributed most toward the objective of that Committee. A maximum of one (1) per committee may be awarded.
E. NOMINATIONS AND SELECTIONS:
1. SMITH, BUTLER, JOHNSTON and CITATIONS: Nominations and communication must be made in writing to the Region Awards Chair and submitted electronically as described below.
a. Nominations may be made by any Region Officer, Board Member, Standing Committee, Chapter, or any five (5) members in good standing. Members nominated will refrain from any deliberation with members of the committee prior to and during the awards process.
b. The sponsor is responsible for the timeliness and completeness of each nomination.
c. Follow submission format in Part 3, Exhibit B. Submit PDF file by email.
d. Should the Awards Committee determine that a nominee is qualified for an award other than the one for which he or she is nominated, it shall be the committee’s discretion, with input from the nominator, as to which award is given.
2. PRESIDENT/PRESIDENT-ELECT’S CERTIFICATES: Selections will be made by the President and the President-Elect.
3. BEST OF THE WEST REGION AWARDS: Selection will be made by the Committee Chair.
4. DEADLINE: All submissions must be received by the Region Awards Chair not later than 30 days prior to the first day of the Region Conference.
F. PRESENTATION OF AWARDS:
1. The SMITH, BUTLER, JOHNSTON, and CITATIONS: The committee will select a suitable plaque from a reliable and convenient source; efforts will be made to maintain a consistent image and budget for subsequent years’ awards.
2. PRESIDENT/PRESIDENT-ELECT’S and BEST IN THE WEST AWARDS: The committee will utilize the Region's stock Awards Certificate with customized copy and a suitable frame obtained from a reliable and convenient provider; efforts will be made to maintain a consistent image and budget for subsequent years’ awards.
END OF SECTION