The CSI Nominating Committee is seeking applications from members who are interested in serving on the Board of Directors. Please read through the following job description for the Region Director position. If you are interested in applying, please click the “apply today!” link. Applications are due by Friday, January 24, 2020.
**NOTE: Application form will time out after 4 hours. Please review the application prior to applying to ensure you have all information needed to submit your application.
The Region Director serves a three-year term holding this position.
- Serves as a voting director elected by his/her Region membership
- Expected to serve on one of the Board Committees (Governance, Audit, Investment Oversight, Executive Compensation, Awards, Nominating, or Membership Connection)
- Attend and participate fully in all Board meetings
The Treasurer serves a three-year term beginning July 1 following election.
- An orientation, typically a two-day meeting in early June, before taking office.
- Three in-person meetings annually, approximately two days in length
- One Board meeting is held in conjunction with the CSI Annual Convention and Annual Business Meeting
- Potentially 6 board teleconferences, held on an as-needed basis.
- The monthly time commitment for the Region Director role between meetings for conference calls, emails and committee meetings is between 10 and 20 hours.
The following are desirable attributes for the role:
- Business insight - Applying knowledge of business and the marketplace to advance the organization's goals.
- Collaborates - Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Balances stakeholders - Anticipating and balancing the needs of multiple stakeholders.
- Strategic mindset - Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
- Instills trust - Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
Any CSI member interesting in serving as Region Director should read through the CSI Governing Policies thoroughly, there are several sections that speak to the individual responsibilities of the Board members. These are appended to this description.
Consistent with the Board Governing Policies 2.6, each Board member is expected to fulfill the following responsibilities:
- Commitment: Prospective Region Board members are expected to, as part of acceptance of nomination, and then annually as Board members, sign a Letter of Commitment indicating that they have reviewed and commit to abide by CSI’s Bylaws and these Governing Policies, as may be amended from time to time.
- Attendance: Board members are expected to attend Board meetings on a regular and punctual basis. Absence from more than one-third of the Board’s regularly scheduled face-to-face meetings, and/or more than one-third of regularly scheduled teleconference meetings in any year will constitute that member’s resignation from the Board.
- Preparation and Participation: Board members are expected to review agenda materials in advance of Board and committee meetings and to participate productively in discussions.
- Committee Participation: Board members are expected to participate on at least one Board Committee.
- Liaisons: Though all Board members are to represent and vote for the collective interests of the membership as a whole, those elected from a region shall be the primary liaison between that region and the Institute. If the Board member election from the region is unwilling or unable to perform the duty of liaison, the Board may appoint another Board member to perform such duties.
- Responsiveness: Board members will be attentive to Board communications and respond promptly to staff and Board member requests for feedback.
- Members as Individuals: The CEO is accountable to the Board as a whole and not to individual Board members. Therefore, the relationship between the CEO and individual members of the Board, including the Board Chair, is collegial and not hierarchical.
- Voluntarism: Board members may individually volunteer in operational capacities. In such situations, they are subject to the direct supervision of the CEO or responsible staff person.
1 open slot in each Region: Northeast, Northwest, and South Central; total of 3
10+ years of industry experience
Application Deadline: January 24, 2020