Led by the Conservancy for Cuyahoga Valley National Park, Akron-Canton CSI members and guests are invited to learn about the Cuyahoga Valley National Parks’ latest improvement, a full-service, central visitor center. The project includes a main visitor center building restoration, in addition to two smaller buildings nearby which will serve as public restrooms and office space. Each will see a complete rehabilitation in keeping with the historic feel of the Village of Boston and increasing their energy efficiency. An outdoor pavilion and courtyard will provide visitors with park information and resources 24/7, while indoor exhibits will orient visitors to the park and its geography, natural resources, history, & surrounding areas.
- Participants will be able to describe in detail the complexity of a federal/non-profit partnership project, in addition to the importance of a team approach while designing and building (including the challenges and strengths of a multi-discipline approach while using varied communication styles).
- Participants will learn what occurred prior to design. In addition to the surveys of the foundation and main structures that needed to be re-built to ensure visitor safety and longevity of the buildings.
- Participants will learn more about the expense and safety concerns of this project, including acquisition of the property (from a willing-seller private owner), rehabilitation and preservation of the historic main visitor center building and two additional buildings (for restrooms and planned office space) and the cost of achieving LEED Silver Level.
- By the end of this course, participants will be able to describe the requirements in the Department of the Interior (DOI) Sustainable Buildings Implementation Plan which currently guide this project.
Chapter Meeting Agenda:
- 5:30pm - Registration
- 6:00pm - Tour
- 7:30pm - Dinner at Lager & Vine Gastropub & Wine Bar
- 30 W Streetsboro St, Hudson, OH 44236
AIA members earn 1 HSW LU.