You're invited to join Akron-Canton CSI on a tour of Akron's art deco terminal, the Theken Terminal Building. Scheduled for October 20th at 5:00 PM, our tour will consist of a building tour and presentation, followed by dinner at The Iron Grill. This former Akron Fulton Airport Terminal opened in 1931 to serve dirigible passengers, and by the late 1930s serviced a growing number of passenger plane services as propellor-based airliners became the norm.
Designed by Michel M. Konarski and built by O. C. Harbaugh for $81,700 in 1931, this art deco administration building with a symmetrical facade in scaled proportions is an excellent representation of the development of airports during the first major expansion of air travel in the 1920s and 1930s. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places as of December 21, 2001, this building was acquired in 2005 by Randy Theken and subsequently underwent a 2-year restoration.
To learn more about the terminal building, click here.
Attendees receive 1 AIA CEU. No virtual option will be available.