BEWARE THE CONCRETE ROOF DECK: A Roundtable Discussion
- Bob Moretti, MBA, CSI, CDT - Director, Technical Solutions, Tremco Roofing
- Brian Vladovich, AIA, LEED AP - Senior Project Manager, Olsson Roofing Company, Inc.
Designing and installing a commercial roofing system over a concrete roof deck involves traversing an obstacle course of challenges related to concrete deck-related moisture. Over the last 20+ years, industry-funded research and many re-roofing lessons-learned have identified both key contributing factors and suggested solutions to concrete roof deck moisture-related failures. However, there has not yet been a universal industry “rule book” written for installing roofing systems over a concrete roof deck.
For this roundtable, a roofing manufacturer’s technical director and experienced roofing contractor return to discuss their experiences with addressing concrete roof deck moisture. Open dialogue from attendees to share experiences, lessons learned, and their approach to keeping roof deck moisture out of their roofing systems is encouraged.
- Describe possible sources of moisture within a commercial roofing system installed over a concrete roof deck.
- Analyze how the presence of moisture can create a safety hazard to building occupants and/or lead to roofing system failure.
- Explain the importance of moisture management and the appropriate design and installation measures that should be taken to ensure that the roof remains a non-hazardous, functional portion of the building enclosure.
- Recall key considerations that should be part of a commercial roofing system specification and installation.
Continuing Education: 1.0 AIA CES HSW/LU
Cost For Program Held Via Zoom:
CSI Chicago Members: FREE
CSI Member - Non-Chicago Chapter: $20*
Non-Member Professionals: $40*
(3 or more years of experience in construction)
Non-Member Emerging Professionals: $20*
(Fewer than 3 years of experience in construction)
Non-Member Student: $10*
(Full-time student enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program)
*Save 50% on your registration fee when you register by January 7, 2021.
Space is limited to first 30 registered attendees. Registration is refundable up to 5 days before the event.
About Our Panelists:
Bob Moretti, MBA, CSI, CDT
Director, Technical Solutions, Tremco Roofing
Bob joined Tremco Roofing in August of 2011 and has served in multiple roles, including: architectural and technical specialist, roof advisor and technical manager. Bob is currently the Director of Tremco Roofing’s technical department, leading a team that helps building owners, design professionals and Tremco Construction Product Group (CPG) employees across the globe, answer all roofing related technical questions and concerns.
Brian Vladovich, AIA, LEED AP
Senior Project Manager, Olsson Roofing Company, Inc.
Brian Vladovich AIA, LEED AP has more than 8 years’ experience in the roofing industry as a project manager which includes estimating, submittals, coordination, field inspection, management, quality and cost analysis. Prior to working in the roofing industry, Brian practiced as an architect for over 10 years, working on high rise buildings domestically and internationally.