“We rise by lifting others,” writes Norman Mugisha, a Scholar studying at EARTH University in Costa Rica.
“Giving back builds hope — and when there is hope there is always a future.”
For the 2nd year in a row, CSI Chicago will build that better future by partnering with Rebuilding Together Metro Chicago to provide a family in need with a home that is safe, warm and dry. Rebuilding Together Metro Chicago is an organization that works to improve the declining housing stock of homeowners in Chicago and Cook County. They serve existing homeowners, who, due to financial or physical limitations, have been unable to maintain their homes. Although we adopt a house, our real commitment is to improve the lives of the family that lives there by taking away the stresses that their home brings to their lives. Check out our 2018 Rebuilding Together Recap.
Rebuilding Together 2019 is a great opportunity to give back to our community while also bonding together for a cause bigger than yourselves and the companies you work for. CSI Chicago is looking for individuals and companies who are interested in helping us improve a family’s life. There are many things that go into the home adoption and renovation which means there are multiple ways for individuals and companies to help. Our goal is to raise $5,000 to help cover the costs of adopting and renovating our family’s home. In December, our Rebuilding Together Committee will be choosing a home to adopt that is in need of repairs and will be renovating the home on National Rebuilding Day 2019 which is on April 27, 2019.
Three ways to support CSI Chicago’s Rebuilding Together 2019.
- Monetary Donations – In adopting the home, we pay Rebuilding Together Metro Chicago a lump sum and in return we get many resources, including funds to help with some of the renovation costs. We learned last year that the amount given is only enough to fix the bare minimum (at best) which just isn’t enough. We want to lift this year’s family up beyond the minimum repairs and give them a home that won’t have any needed repairs for many years to come. Consider donating the following ways:
- CSI Chicago Fundraising Efforts – CSI will be hosting fundraisers throughout the next few months for members to participate in. The big fundraiser of the year is CSI Chicago’s Holiday Party.
- Direct Monetary Donations – No donation is too small. If you would like to donate directly to CSI Chicago to benefit our adopted family and their home you may do so through our contributions link. Please note if you donate directly to Rebuilding Together through their website the money will impact their initiative as a whole and will not directly impact CSI Chicago’s adopted home.
- Material Donations – The home we adopt will be in need of flooring, paint, light fixtures, appliances, cabinets, countertop, landscaping, and more. If you have access to materials or goods that are needed in a home please contact me. There are certain rules to how we handle materials so if you are interested please reach out to our materials contact below early to discuss your options.
- Volunteer Your Time – This initiative takes an army of volunteers. Starting in January, the committee has site visits and planning meetings several times a month. The day of the rehab also requires 40 volunteers. This is a great way to give back while building relationships with the CSI Chicago community. If you want to be a part of one or both of these volunteer opportunities please sign up here.
The more people and companies that participate, the better we can improve the life of a Chicago family. Get involved in helping us give back to the Chicago Community. See below who to contact for monetary donations, materials donations and volunteer opportunities.
Monetary Donation Contact
Beth Winkler, Executive Director, CSI Chicago Chapter
Kathy St Joseph, CSI CDT
Commercial Specification Manager, Midwest, LOTTE ADVANCED MATERIALS USA, INC.
Material Donation Contact
Guadalupe “Lupe” Casimiro
Project Manager, Jensen and Halstead Ltd.